Hi! Here is a fun activity you can work on at home.
Composing a Song
1. Print staff paper from your computer, or take a piece of notebook paper and trace 5 lines to make a staff.
2. On the left side of the staff, draw a treble clef or bass clef.
3. To the right of the clef, draw 4/4 time signature.
4. Divide the staff into 4 measures by drawing bar lines.
5. Draw either a ll or :ll at the end of the last measure.
6. Create rhythms for every measure. Check to make sure you have 4 beats (rests count!)
7. Pick a scale you like. Practice the first 5 notes of the scale.
8. Make sure your song starts and ends on the first note of the scale. Choose which of the 5 notes will play each rhythm pattern.
9. Draw the notes and rhythms in the staff.
10. Play your song! Maybe you can give it a title.
Congratulations! You are a composer!