Elementary Heat Index Guidelines
The Chandler Unified School District (CUSD) is committed to protecting the health and safety of our students and staff. CUSD provides various opportunities for outdoor physical activities before, during and after school. These guidelines are meant to promote student and staff safety when local weather may be detrimental to their health. Heat-related conditions are preventable. Children do not adapt to extreme temperatures as effectively as adults for the following physiological reasons:
- Higher surface area-to-body mass ratio than adults allows a greater amount of heat to transfer from the environment to the body
- During physical activity children produce more metabolic heat than adults
- Sweating capacity is considerably lower in children than adults reducing the ability to dissipate body heat by evaporation
When excessive heat occurs, the following precautions are to be taken for all outdoor physical activity, including, but not limited to: recess, physical education classes and field trips. The heat index is a relationship between temperature and relative humidity. As relative humidity increases, the air seems warmer because the body is less able to cool itself via evaporation or perspiration. As the heat index rises, so do the health risks such as dehydration, heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
During the school year on days that exceed 95 degrees or above, a District designee will email the heat index in the morning to all registered nurses, health assistants, principals, deans, administrative assistants and athletic personnel. Once the heat index is communicated, the heat index guidelines will be put into place and all schools will limit outdoor activities for the entire day according to the colored graph below.
*Each site administration is responsible for using these guidelines to their discretion.
Determining the Heat Index
1. Temperature and relative humidity data will be obtained from www.accuweather.com
2. Click Chandler AZ local weather and enter centralized district zip code 85286
3. Click See Hourly and obtain the predicted temperature and predicted relative humidity during school hours at 2:00 p.m.
4. Calculate the heat index using the red, orange and yellow graph attached.If you have questions, please contact the school's front office.
Click to Report a Website Problem