HONORS ENGLISH 10Students, please take the following survey if you have time:https://forms.gle/RNnPggcbJ84e7t1d8
Honors English 10 is a rigorous and challenging course that is designed to prepare students for enrollment into AP English their junior year. Higher-level critical thinking skills will be utilized in preparation for their transition. The multi-disciplined class serves several purposes: to prepare students for vocational and/or collegiate opportunities after high school; to prepare students for college entrance exams; and to strengthen their existing education. Reading and writing components are a part of the curriculum that will be heavily emphasized.
Upon completion of this course students should possess:
- A stronger use of college-level vocabulary used appropriately and effectively
- The ability to use a variety of sentence structures
- The ability to use logical organization, enhanced by specific detail (included within essay writing)
- The ability to understand various uses of literary analysis, such as mood and tone, figurative language; symbolism, point of view, and character development
- The ability to create and sustain arguments based on readings, research, and/or personal experience
- The ability to research an author’s body of work critically and report your findings in a formal structure according to the Modern Language Association (MLA)
- The ability to analyze different genres of material ranging from poetry, short stories, drama, novels and non-fiction
- The ability to move effectively through the stages of the writing process, with careful attention to inquiry and research, drafting, revising, editing, and review
- The ability to avoid plagiarism.