Why Girls Flag Football?
- Title IX mandates that Girls be given equal opportunities to play sports. Arizona ranks 41st in girls' participation as a percentage of high school athletes. 21,000 more boys play sports than girls in Arizona. 20,000 boys play football. Do the math! Flag Football could bring in more than 10,000 athletes. This would cut the gap in half and vault Arizona into the top 5 states for girls participation.
- Title IX says that we must respond to the interests of the girls. In every state where Flag Football has been on the ballot, it has finished first, usually by a wide margin.
- It is one of the cheapest sports to play. We have fields that are ready to go in the spring. We are only proposing a 10 game regular season. The main cost is a jersey and shorts. No additional equipment is necessary except for some flags and balls, which most schools have already.
- Every school already has teachers who know how to coach football. Finding a coaching staff won't be difficult.
- Flag football brings out the most overall girls, the most "new" athletes, and the most ethnically diverse girls of any sport not currently being played.