WHY Andersen Junior High School?
We know that parents have a variety of schools to choose from and that you want the “best” education for your child. Here are just a few examples of why we believe AJHS is the right school for your child.
- AJHS was awarded the A+ School of Excellence from the Arizona Education Foundation in 2008. AJHS was the first junior high in CUSD to be awarded this since 1992, and one of only a few junior highs in the entire East Valley to receive this recognition.
- Only junior high in CUSD implementing the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program. AJHS and Chandler High School are IB World Schools and have developed a partnership in this program so that all AJHS students have an easy transition into Chandler High School’s IB program. IB is the most reputable advanced placement program and benefits high school students in college admissions.
- Only junior high school in the Arizona to offer both single gender and mixed gender classes. Parents can choose to have their child placed in single gender or mixed gender core curriculum classes. Over the past five years we have documented results that show many AJHS students focus better and experience greater achievement when they are in single gender classes. Principal Anderson has presented the results of our single gender classes at three national education conferences.
- Outstanding master level teachers. Sixty-six percent of our teachers have master’s degrees. Our teachers have weekly curriculum meetings where they develop common lessons and assessments to ensure that ALL students receive quality instruction and a superior educational experience.
- Academic lab time on Wednesday afternoons where students receive needed extra help, finish projects, or retake tests. This program is unique to AJHS and was implemented six years ago. Since then we have seen the number of students failing classes decline by more than 55% to a record low in CUSD.
- Responsible Thinking Process is the school wide discipline program. Implemented fifteen years ago, it ensures consistent and fair handling of classroom disruptions. If students disrupt a class, they report to the Responsible Thinking Classroom (RTC) where they reflect on their behavior and develop a plan to change their behavior and successfully return to class. It Works!! Eighty-five percent of our students never visit RTC once and very few return to RTC multiple times.
- Outstanding music and athletic programs. Our music groups participate in regional and state festivals and always receive “superior” and “excellent” ratings. AJHS has more 1st place finishes in the East Valley Athletic Conference the past 12 years than any other junior high school in CUSD.
If you have any questions please contact our office at 480-883-5300 or visit our website at www.cusd80.com/ajhs