Andersen Junior High School
IB/MYP World School
Andersen Junior High School continues to be a unique junior high that stands out among other schools with creative and timely programs. AJHS has also been recognized twice as an A+ School of Excellence by the Arizona Education Foundation. AJHS is a school of 940 students, grades 6-8 and is the only junior high school in CUSD and only one of four junior highs in the state that is an International Baccalaureate (IB) Middle Years Program (MYP) World School (ibo.org).
Education is an act of hope in the face of an always-uncertain future. An IB/MYP education calls forth the very best in students and educators alike. The IB believes that together we can help to prepare students for living and working in a complex, highly interconnected world. As an IB/MYP World School AJHS works to instill in all our students the ten attributes of the IB learner profile. AJHS students strive to be: Inquirers, Knowledgeable, Thinkers, Communicators, Principled, Open-Minded, Caring, Risk-Takers, Balanced, and Reflective.
As an IB/MYP World School AJHS is partnered with Chandler High School’s IB program, which is the strongest and largest IB program in Arizona. Research shows that students participating in the MYP:
- build confidence in managing their own learning
- learn by doing, connecting the classroom to the larger world
- outperform non-IB students in critical academic skills
- consistently have greater success in IB Diploma Program examinations
- thrive in positive school cultures where they are engaged and motivated to excel
- develop an understanding of global challenges and a commitment to act as responsible citizens.
An AJHS education is holistic in nature—we are concerned with the whole person. Along with cognitive development, we address students’ social, emotional and physical well-being. The following changes were implemented to our master schedule and curricular offerings in the 2015-2016 school year.
- We will have a six period day, allowing students to take up to four elective classes.
- Students will have their choice of taking one of three foreign languages: Spanish, French, or Mandarin Chinese
- We will continue to offer a wide variety of art and music classes including band, orchestra, choir, and beginning guitar.
- Students can select a traditional P.E. class or enroll in our new Athletic P.E. class. Athletic P.E. is specifically designed for athletes from all sports desiring to improve their overall performance. These athletic students will continue to build and develop their physical abilities through activities designed specifically to increase strength, improve speed and agility, develop balance, and enhance hand/eye coordination. In addition, athletes are taught the importance of good nutrition, caring for minor injuries, and the value in developing a positive mental attitude as part of preparing for athletic competition.