"Willis One" Newsletter - Aug. 23, 2019
Please take a few moments to read the Willis One newsletter -- one page of notes and upcoming events related to Willis Junior High School. You may access the letter, in English or Spanish, on Mr. Delp's section of the Willis web site (CLICK HERE).
Cash for Classrooms CampaignBetween August 12th and 23rd, our school is participating in the annual Chandler Education Foundation's Cash for Classrooms Campaign which funds enrichment grants for classrooms and schools across Chandler Unified School District. Even a small donation makes a big difference. Envelopes with the information are being sent home with students today -- Monday, August 12th. You may also choose to donate online by using the Chandler Cash For Classrooms website, or by texting CEF to (480) 712-4081. No matter how you choose to donate, please have your child return their envelope to their 4th period teacher. Thank you for considering!
Student Pick-Up and Drop Off
As you are likely to experience, our parking lot at Willis is not large enough to accommodate the amount of traffic we experience during drop-off and pick-up times. In addition to managing our own lot, we must be mindful of limiting traffic back-up on McQueen Road -- this can be very challenging. In the interest of your convenience, and student safety, I would like to make you aware of a few alternatives to using our front parking lot (especially for after school student pick-up).
- Delay your pick-up time by approximately 10 minutes. Our front parking lot is typically cleared-out by 4:10, or 4:15 pm.
- When dropping your student off -- please pull as far forward along the curb as possible (do not stop at the front gate). If you are goint to wait with your student, please use a parking space.
- Parents may park in the Monterey Point II neighborhood, directly West of Willis. Students may then cross McQueen (with the assistance of our crossing guard) and meet their parents in the neighborhood. Please do not park in the entrance to the neighborhood, but pull into one of the side streets.
- Parents may park along Frye road directly North of Willis. Students may exit on the North side of our campus and cross the baseball/softball fields. There is a gate near the softball fields where students may exit campus onto the sidewalk along Frye Road. This area typically has very little congestion.
- There is also have a very small parking lot, south of campus, that may be used for student drop-off and pick-up.
You are certainly not obligated to use these alternative methods, but your consideration would help us diminish the congestion in our front parking lot. Regardless of the pick-up area you use, please be patient, and extremely cautious (watch carefully for students) in order to keep all of our kids safe.
Willis Cell Phone and Electronic Device Policy
At Willis, we recognize that we are living in a highly connected world where many of our students place a great deal of importance on the use of cell phones and digital devices for communication. We also know that (when used appropriately) technology can serve to enhance/supplement educational experiences. However, research also indicates that cell phones can be a significant contributor to distraction and lack of focus. For this reason, we have outlined a phone and electronic device policy that seeks to find an appropriate balance between times when students are permitted to use phones, and when they must be put away.
We will review this information with students when they arrive at Willis, but feel free to read our cell phone and elecronic device policy (linked).
Receive Willis Text Updates via Remind
Parents, you may sign-up to receive periodic text reminders about upcoming events using the NEW Willis Remind account. Use the link to sign-up, or text @willisj to the number 81010. See remind.com for more information. You can also download the REMIND app to manage your alerts.
ENROLL AT WILLIS TODAY!
Willis Junior High is proud to have been serving our Chandler community for 40 years! We take a great deal of pride in identifying individual student needs and fostering academic, social, and emotional growth. Diverse academic offerings include:
- Accelerated courses in core academic areas
- Innovation Academy
- Recognized as a Verizon Innovative Learning School
- Google Apps for Education and daily use of technology
- STEAM Academy
- Academically rigorous program focused on preparing students for high school International Baccalaureate and STEM programs
- Intervention Programs
- Classes to increase student fluency in reading and mathematics
- Acclaimed electives that includes an internationally recognized music program, engineering, photography, foreign language, art, and state-champion Vex Robotics
At Willis, we have a pathway to success for every student. We cordially invite your family to be a part of our Firebird community. Please contact our front office at (480)883-5700 to get enrollment information, or schedule time to speak with an administrator, or counselor, about what Willis has to offer your student!
WJHS Social Media: Facebook and Twitter
In order to facilitate timely communication with students and parents and share our story, Willis has established social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. To receive updates, announcements, and school related news, please feel free to follow us on these social media channels. #wjhsstory