ELA - Foundational Skills
Arizona’s English Language Arts Standards – 3rd Grade
Reading Standards: Foundational Skills
Phonics and Word Recognition
- 3.RF.3 Know and apply phonics and word analysis skills in decoding one-syllable or multisyllabic words.
- Identify and know the meaning of the most common prefixes and derivational suffixes.
- Decode words with common Latin suffixes.
- Apply knowledge of the six syllable types to read grade-level words accurately.
- Read grade-level appropriate irregularly spelled words.
- 3.RF.4 Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.
- Read grade-level text with purpose and understanding.
- Read grade-level prose and poetry orally with accuracy, appropriate rate, and expression on successive readings.
- Use context to confirm or self-correct word recognition and understanding, rereading as necessary.
Writing Standards: Foundational Skills
Sound-letter basics and Handwriting
- 3.WF.1 Demonstrate and apply handwriting skills.
- Read and write cursive letters, upper and lower case.
- Transcribe ideas legibly in cursive and manuscript, with appropriate spacing and indentation.
- 3.WF.2 Standard ends at grade 2.
- 3.WF.3 Know and apply spelling conventions and patterns.
- Spell single-syllable words with less common and complex graphemes (e.g., ough, augh, old, -ind, -ost, -ild families).
- Identify language of origin for words, as noted in dictionaries.
- Spell singular and plural possessives (e.g., teacher's, teachers').
- Spell regular two-and three-syllable words that:
- Combine all basic syllable types: closed, VCe (Vowel-Consonant-silent e), open, vowel team, vowel-r, and consonant le.
- Include common, transparent prefixes and suffixes (e.g., re-, pre-, sub-, un-, dis-, mis-; -able, -ness, -ful, -tion).
- Spell grade-level appropriate words in English, as found in a research-based list (*See guidelines under Word Lists in the ELA Glossary), including:
- Irregular words.
- Pattern-based words.