ELA - Language
Arizona’s English Language Arts Standards - KINDERGARTEN
Conventions of Standard English
- K.L.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of Standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
- Use frequently occurring nouns and verbs.
- Form regular plural nouns orally by adding /s/ or /es/ (e.g., dog, dogs; wish, wishes).
- Understand and use question words (interrogatives) (e.g., who, what, where, when, why, how).
- Use the most frequently occurring prepositions (e.g., to, from, in, out, on, off, for, of, by, with).
- Produce and expand complete sentences in shared language activities.
- K.L.2 Demonstrate command of the conventions of Standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
- Capitalize the first word in a sentence and the pronoun I.
- Recognize and name end punctuation.
Knowledge of Language
- K.L.3 (Begins in grade 2)
Vocabulary Acquisition and Use
- K.L.4 (Begins in grade 1)
- K.L.5 With guidance and support from adults, explore word relationships and nuances in word meanings.
- Sort common objects into categories (e.g., shapes, foods) to gain a sense of the concepts the categories represent.
- Demonstrate understanding of frequently occurring verbs and adjectives by relating them to their antonyms.
- Identify real‐life connections between words and their use (e.g., note places at school that are colorful).
- Distinguish shades of meaning among verbs describing the same general action (e.g., walk, march, strut, prance) by acting out the meanings.
- K.L.6 Use words and phrases acquired through conversations, reading and being read to, and responding to texts.