Welcome to Elementary Education!
Letter from the Assistant Superintendent for Elementary Education
It is with great enthusiasm that I welcome you back for another incredible school year here in Chandler Unified School District (C.U.S.D.). Our theme going into the school year is Safer, Stronger, and Together. Not only have we implemented key changes to procedures and process that will enhance the campus safety, but defines how we will navigate through the challenges we face in reopening our schools and the care of our children. It is imperative that schools and parents collaborate to a high degree and maintain positive and consistent communications as we prepare for the first day of school for our students on August 5, 2020.
This year we are presented with unique challenges in the re-opening of our 31 elementary schools. Our families have two choices for instruction to start the school year. The in-person instruction will start virtually and transition to in-person once we receive approval from our Governor, State Department of Education and Chandler Unified School Board. (The date for in-person instruction to begin in C.U.S.D. is August 17, 2020.)
For those families who are returning to C.U.S.D., Virtual instruction will look differently than what occurred 4th quarter of last school year. Expectations while in this format would include:
- 3-5 hours per day of live or pre-recorded instruction requiring a device.
- All content areas will be covered.
- General Education teachers- live check-ins with class daily. (Class meetings, whole group and small group).
- Social/Emotional (SEL) lessons will occur daily along with class meetings.
- Specialists will schedule times/lessons to interact with their individual and groups.
- Grading/Assessments will occur.
- Assignments will be collected, provided feedback and graded.
- Respond to all emails or parent/student communication within 24 hours during the workweek.
- Google Meet will be used for check-ins with class and individuals, teletherapy as needed by related services staff, and tutoring/intervention.
- Google Classroom will be used along with core curriculum for instruction.
- Virtual teacher will be your child’s classroom teacher when in-person instruction starts.
C.U.S.D. has expanded a second instructional option for our families through our Chandler Online Academy, Elementary Connect. Although the Elementary Connect option is new, Chandler Online Academy has been providing online education to our secondary students for ten years. Expectations while in this format would include:
- Although registered through the Chandler Online Academy you may retain your seat at your boundary or open enrollment school.
- Families may choose to transition back to in-person at the quarter or semester breaks.
- There will be 5 full days of instruction per week
- District technology devices available if needed
- Daily teacher led instruction in whole and small groups (live lessons)
- Course content will cover: Math, Science, Social Science, English Language
- Arts and Elective areas
- Individualized supports and accommodations will be provided
- Customized online learning track will be available for English Language Learners, Special Education, Dual Immersion, and Gifted classes as appropriate
If you are in need of specific information regarding the Virtual to in-person learning option, please contact your boundary or open enrollment school directly.
For additional information regarding Elementary Connect Online, please contact Chandler Online Academy at 480-812-6360.
Below are the links to the various FAQ documents on the District's Web Site:
- FAQ Elementary
- FAQ CUSD Special Education and 504
- FAQ Health and Safety
- Understanding Elementary Connect- Chandler Online Academy
I want to thank you for choosing Chandler Unified School District to serve your families educational needs. If we can be of assistance or help in anyway, please do not hesitate to contact our office at 480-812-7610. We wish your child a successful 2020–2021 school year!
Yours in Education,
Franklin R. Narducci
Assistant Superintendent for Elementary Education