Elementary (K-6) Open Enrollment 2019-2020
School Year: July 23, 2019 - May 28, 2020
To have a better understanding about the Open Enrollment process, please read the information on this page BEFORE applying.
APPLICATION REVIEW DATES
Applications will be reviewed by elementary schools during the following time frames:
- February 24 - March 5, 2020 for emergency placements ONLY for 4th quarter acceptance
*The ONLY applications processed outside of the time frame above are: (a) families that are currently attending one of our CUSD schools and have moved out of the school boundary and are requesting to stay at the same school (b) families that are moving and wanting to request a different school other than their home attendance boundary school (c) emergency placements.
WHEN IS AN OPEN ENROLLMENT NEEDED?
The parent/legal guardian and the child must be an Arizona Resident to apply for Open Enrollment.
- When a Chandler Unified student that is NOT on an Open Enrollment and is wishing to attend a DIFFERENT school within the Chandler Unified School District boundaries.
- When a student lives in another Arizona school district boundary other than Chandler Unified School District and wishes to attend a school in the Chandler Unified School District boundary.
- When applying for the Dual Language Immersion program at CTA Liberty Campus for Spanish or the Mandarin program at Tarwater Elementary, the Elite Performance Academy at CTA Humphrey Campus, a Gifted Program, a Special Education program or Early Entrance into Kindergarten.
- When a student is attending a Chandler Unified school and they move out of the boundaries of the current school during the school year and wants to continue at the same school.
- When you are an Arizona State resident and have recently purchased a house or signed a new lease for a home in one of the Chandler Unified School District boundaries and you want your child to attend the school in that boundary.
- E-mail your Purchasing Agreement or Leasing Contract to Stephanie Tobin, email@example.com for verification. Once the document has been verified, your application will be prioritized and the elementary school office will contact you to complete the enrollment at the school. This only applies if you are an Arizona State resident. (If you will be in your new home between July 8th-22nd the Open Enrollment Application is not needed. You can go to the elementary school office to complete the registration for your child.)
THE OPEN ENROLLMENT APPLICATION IS NOT FOR SCHOOL REGISTRATION/ENROLLMENT. YOU WILL COMPLETE YOUR CHILD'S REGISTRATION AT YOUR ATTENDANCE BOUNDARY SCHOOL. CLICK HERE TO DETERMINE YOUR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL BOUNDARY.
TO HELP PREPARE YOU IN COMPLETING YOUR OPEN ENROLLMENT
CANCELLING OR CHANGING YOUR SUBMITTED OPEN ENROLLMENT APPLICATION
- An Open Enrollment Application is needed for EACH child.
- Submitting multiple Open Enrollment Applications for one child will result in the applications being denied or admission being revoked.
- Example, You submitted an application and you have not heard the status of the application, you then submit another application. Both applications will be revoked.
For students entering grades 1st - 6th grade currently NOT enrolled in a Chandler Unified School, have the required documents ready for submission; attendance report, grade report and discipline report. If your child does not have a discipline report, please request a statement from the school office on letterhead that your child does not have discipline report. If appropriate, have the 504 Plan, Gifted Test scores, and IEP ready if one or more of these applies for your child.You have three options to submit these documents.
Option 1: Attaching the documents (PDF preferred) during in the online application process
Option 2: Sending the documents (PDF preferred) via e-mail to Stephanie Tobin at firstname.lastname@example.org
Preparing your documents to be submitted via the online Open Enrollment application or e-mail, look in the Apple Store or Google Play Store for an app like CamScanner-Phone PDF creator or similar, to turn your phone into a moble scanner and create a PDF of your documents.
NOTE: The District does not take responsibility for any apps that you may download.
Option 3: Hand carry the documents to the District Office
If you choose to submit the required documents via e-mail or by dropping them off at the District office, the documents MUST be received within 5 working days of the submitted application or the application will be DENIED.
Providing false information on the Open Enrollment Application will result in the application being denied or admission being revoked.
An e-mail confirmation will be sent once the Open Enrollment Application has been submitted. If you have not received your e-mail confirmation after 20 minutes, please check your junk mail or spam folder for the e-mail confirmation. If you still haven't received the e-mail confirmation, send an e-mail to Stephanie Tobin at email@example.com to verify your application was received.
If you are applying for Gifted Services, you will have the option of selecting up to 2 Gifted Program sites and up to 2 additional School Choice sites. Gifted Programming applications will not be reviewed until the Gifted office has received Gifted Test scores. If your child is taking the Gifted Test after you submitted the Open Enrollment application, the date of the Gifted Test scores will SUPERSEDE the Open Enrollment Application date for Gifted Program sites ONLY. Information on how to register for the Gifted test can be found in the Gifted Testing section.
- If you do not submit your application after 15 minutes, the application will time out and you will have to start again.
- If you would like to cancel your application because your wanting to change your School Choice order, forward your e-mail confirmation to Stephanie Tobin at firstname.lastname@example.org to request your application to be cancelled and include the reason for your cancellation. A reply e-mail will be sent when the application has been cancelled.
- If you changed your mind about your submitted application, forward your e-mail confirmation to Stephanie Tobin at email@example.com to request your application to be cancelled and include the reason for your cancellation. A reply e-mail will be sent when the application has been cancelled.
- If you made an error on the application (wrong birth date, a name spelled incorrectly, wrong gender, address entered incorrectly), forward your e-mail conformation to Stephanie Tobin at firstname.lastname@example.org with the corrected information. We cannot make changes to your first choice school selection.
THE PROCESS AFTER YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
- All completed applications will be assigned a Priority Group Number from Elementary Education.
- Gifted Programming applications will be initially reviewed by the Gifted office with final approval from the principal of the requested school.
- Special Education applications will be initially reviewed by the Special Education office with final approval from the principal of the requested school.
- Applications submitted for Early Entrance into Kindergarten will be on hold until the outcome of the Kindergarten Readiness Test.
- If the required documents (attendance report, grade report, discipline report, IEP, 504, Gifted Test scores) are not received for incoming 1st - 6th grade students, the application will be denied and a denial letter will be mailed. If the documents are not attached to the online application, they must be dropped off or mailed to the District Office within 5 working days of submision. (This does not apply for students currently enrolled in a Chandler Unified school)
- The elementary school offices will verify their class ratios and this will determine how many Open Enrollments will be approved for each grade level.
- If more than one School Choice is listed on the application, the 1st School of Choice will review the application, if they are not able to approve the application because of capacity, the 2nd School Choice will review the application.
- The elementary school offices will access their online Priority Group Reports to review their applications, by Priority Group and by time and date stamp.
- If the application is approved, the elementary school office will contact the parent/legal guardian by phone and/or e-mail. Notification will be made as promptly as possible upon receipt of application.
- The parent/legal guardian must confirm the acceptance of the approved Open Enrollment with the elementary school office within 5 working days from the contact date or the seat will be offered to the next applicant.
- The Elementary Education office will send notification letters via US Mail to the address that was listed in the Open Enrollment Application.
- School registration will take place at the elementary school AFTER you receive notification from the school. See the Student Registration and Enrollment Information section for more information on registration.
- Once accepted, continuing Open Enrollment is subject to review each year without reapplication if continuing at the enrolled site.
- It is expected that the student on an Open Enrollment remain at the approved school for the entire year. Revoking an Open Enrollment requires district approval.
*Please allow yourself enough time to complete the application in one session. You will not be able to save and come back later to complete.