COVID-19 has caused us to look at how we evaluate a sickness in the health office, and should it be determined your child can not be in school you need to make arrangements to have your child picked up immediately to ensure the health and safety of students and staff.
To help you make decisions about whether your child should attend school, we have put together a list of guidelines. Your child will not be allowed at school and will be sent home if the following condition(s) are present:
- Fever of 100.4° or higher, persistent cough and/or difficulty breathing. A child must be fever-free for 24 hours (without fever-reducing medication) before returning to school. See CUSD COVID-19 Exclusion Guidelines for further information.
- Sore throat with fever and/or white spots on the throat. If strep throat is diagnosed (note required), the child must be on medication and fever-free for 24 hours (without fever-reducing medication) before returning to school.
- Rash with/without fever and/or signs of illness or behavioral changes. (i.e. chicken pox, measles, etc.) Even non-contagious rash conditions can be a symptom of a health threat....even if it is just unsightly, uncomfortable or itchy. Medical attention may be needed to reduce symptoms or disease risks.
- Skin sores on an exposed surface that are weeping fluid and cannot be covered.
- Red, itchy, and purulent draining eyes. If conjunctivitis or “pink eye” is diagnosed, the child must be on medication for 24 hours before returning to school.
- Prolonged and/or persistent stomachache that does not resolve.
- Swelling or pain at a level that may interfere with learning.
- Earache with severe discomfort and/or fever.
- Toothache with facial swelling and/or fever.
- Active (live) Head Lice. A child must remain at home until treatment with pediculicide. A child may return to school if there are no live lice present. Please notify the Health Office as the student must be cleared to attend class.
Please feel free to contact the school health office with any questions. Thank you.
Click to: Report a Problem