About the Test
Chandler Unified School District (CUSD) gifted identification process ensures fairness and equity. CUSD currently administers the state-approved, Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) form 7. The Cognitive Abilities Test is used exclusively for the self-contained program because of the multiple measures that it offers. Having multiple measures in each domain greatly increases the dependability of the score profile that is reported for each student. Additionally, the reasoning abilities it measures have substantial correlations with learning and problem solving in an academic setting.
Each level of CogAT offers three test batteries. Each battery is represented by three different reasoning tasks, which are:
- Verbal: Verbal Classification - Sentence Completion - Verbal Analogies
- Quantitative: Quantitative Relations – Number Series – Equation Building
- Nonverbal: Figure Classification – Figure Analogies – Figure Analysis
Visit Riverside Insights - CogAT for more information about the assessment.
Any student who receives a score of 97th percentile or above in one of the three areas assessed, Verbal, Quantitative, or Nonverbal or a composite score at or above the 95th percentile on a state approved assessment is eligible to receive gifted services.
Chandler Unified School District gifted student identification process ensures fairness and equity.
Testing occurs at the school site once a year. As a screening process, all second graders, unless they decline testing, are tested. This blanket screening of all second graders ensures that equity and consideration of all students is given.
- January 11th - 22nd, 2021 – All 2nd grade students currently enrolled in a CUSD school (carried out at school site, no registration necessary)
- To request in-school testing for your child (3rd grade - 6th grade only). Complete the Site Testing Application/Aplicación de Examen de la Escuela and return it to the school by January 8th.
CUSD also offers CogAT testing the second Saturday of every month from September - May (except October):
- September – January - All students Pre-K (age 4 years and 6 months) to 7th grade, including students who do not currently attend a CUSD school, may apply online for testing.
- February - May - All incoming Kindergarteners through 7th grade, including students who do not currently attend a CUSD school, may apply online for testing.
- To register for Saturday testing visit our Community Education Enrichment Programs website.
Registration opens up one month prior to the test date and closes 9 days before the testing session, or once the testing session is at capacity.
Everyone who registers will be put on a wait list prior to confirmation. Once the registration is processed you will receive either a confirmation email or an email asking for a $120 payment.
There is a $120 fee for students who are not enrolled in CUSD.
If you are planning to enroll your student in a Chandler Unified School District school for Kindergarten we ask that you enroll him/her at your home school in January to receive an ID number. There will not be a fee assessed for testing if a student is currently enrolled in CUSD.
Notification of Testing Results and Placement
CUSD mails written notification of all test results to parents and/or legal guardians of students who take the CogAT, at their address of record. Test results are available in Spanish upon request. Parent notification of testing results includes an explanation of the gifted testing results, contact information for the Gifted Education Department and an invitation to optional parent information and orientation meetings.