About Dr. William Brooke...
Position: Director of Choirs and Fine Arts/JROTC Department Chair
Team/Department: Fine Arts
Thank you! Thank you for choosing to join the choirs at Basha and to sing with us. I am so grateful you are here and I commit to you that I will work diligently to ensure choir is an extraordinary experience and positive part of your high school experience.
In choir, we will work smart, apply ourselves and seek to achieve growth and success while cultivating friendships, professionalism and life-long memories.
My Education and Professional Background
For my formal education, I have been awarded the following degrees:
- Doctor of Musical Arts in Vocal Performance from the University of Washington
- Master of Music in Vocal Pedagogy from Belmont University
- Bachelor of Science in Music and Finance from Indiana University - Bloomington
Internationally, I have studied with the:
- American Institute of Musical Studies in Graz, Austria
- Goethe-Institut in Dresden, Germany.
Additionally, I have been fortunate to study with outstanding vocal teachers throughout the years including:
- Ray Arbizu (Mesa, AZ)
- Michael Belnap (former student of Luciano Pavarotti)
- Thomas Harper
Personal performance highlights include:
- Solo concert in Tokyo, Japan's Meguro Persimmon Hall
- Guest soloist with the University of Washington Symphony Orchestra performing Schubert’s Intende voci D.963 – an offertory for tenor solo
- Resident soloist with Seattle’s Ensign Symphony & Chorus singing John in Elgar’s The Apostles and Crawford Gates’ Visions of Eternity
- Several operatic performances including appearing with the Utah Festival Opera Company
Although I have a great passion for music, I have also actively worked in the business world:
- Financial Analyst for an Investment Bank on the East coast as part of a 4-member team managing more than $5 billion in assets
- Independent Consultant designing financial models and providing legal analysis
- President of the Derrick Horne Company, a private real estate development group focused upon land development in the Park City, Utah resort area
A great personal accomplishment was a full-scholarship acceptance to Tulane Law School to study International Humanitarian law.
My Educational Philosophy
Diventeró! From the Italian "diventare", it is an expression meaning "I will become!" Too often in life, we celebrate the presence of potential and forget that the real achievement is in the work to become that potential. As such, my educational philosophy centers on the idea of providing instruction, resources and opportunities for students so they may make measurable strides on their own journey to achieving their potential.