Basha Academic Decathlon Class and Team
Welcome to the Home Page for Basha High School's Academic Decathlon Class and Team. In the 2020-2021 school year we are excited to offer Academic Decathlon as an Honors English Elective Credit. The class meets during 0 Hour (6:25 to 7:20 AM), Monday through Friday, in Room #F220.
All study materials for the class and team, with the exception of the Language and Literature selected work, are currently accessible online! Students will be provided with an individualized log-in which they will use to access materials on the following site: https://usad.enlyght.com/tc/
The selected work of literature for the 2020-2021 curriculum year will be Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.. Students are expected to obtain a copy of this work of literature for use at home and in the classroom. If obtaining the work of literaturel is a challenge, please advise Mr. Johnson.
As a team, our goal this year is to exceed all prior achievements by Academic Decathlon teams from Basha High School, performing at a high-level in the Regional Competition at Hamilton High School in February 2021, earning the right to compete in the Arizona State Competition in March 2021 and, with a lot of hard work, potentially being the school to represent the state of Arizona in the National Competition, which will be held in April 2021.
The overall curricular theme for 2020–2021 will be The Cold War. Following is some general information on the topics in each of the subject areas.
- SCIENCE: The science topic will be an introduction to astronomy and will include sections on the Space Race between the United States and the Soviet Union.
- LITERATURE: The literature curriculum will include critical reading, one long work of literature, and selected shorter works. The long work of literature will be Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
- Art: The art curriculum will include a section on art fundamentals and will largely focus on an exploration of art during the Cold War.
- Music: The music curriculum will introduce students to various musical works from the Cold War era.
- SOCIAL Science: The social science curriculum will introduce students to the history of the Cold War.
- Economics: The economics curriculum will cover fundamental economic concepts, microeconomics, and macroeconomics and will also include a thematic section on the economics of the Cold War.
Important DatesNovember 20-21, 2020 Hamilton Invitational (Details TBA - most likely virtual)January Williams Field High School Invitational (Details TBA - most likely virtual)
- Mathematics: The mathematics curriculum will cover general mathematics, geometry, and an introduction to differential calculus.
Jan 28, 2021 Region Competion Online Essay
Feb 4, 2021 Region Competition Online Objective Tests
Feb 6, 2020 Region Competition Date
*NOTE: This is a one day event with in-person speeches and interviews before lunch and Super Quiz and Awards after lunch.
Feb. 8, 2021 State Director will have notified the forty teams that qualified for state competition.
March 4, 2021 On-Line Essay for state competitors
Mar. 13, 2021 State Competition at ASU West.
Apr. 29-May 1, 2021 U.S. Academic Decathlon finals in Des Moines, Iowa.