Sponsors: Danielle Platt and Elizabeth TompkinsContact via: platt.danielle@CUSD80.comAbout Club/Description:
Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society is the only national organization for high school students that recognizes excellence in the field of Social Studies. The mission and purpose of the Perry High School John Prothro chapter of RHO KAPPA is to promote scholarship and to recognize academic excellence in Social Studies.
Our honor society will encourage interest in, understanding of, and appreciation for the Social Studies.
- Google Classroom: d3mturh
- From Mrs. Platt in C210
- On the bulletin board outside C209
Do I meet the requirements?
- Attended Perry for all of Junior year
- Have completed two one credit core courses in the field of social studies and currently be enrolled in a full credit of social studies courses.
Courses can include: (AP) World History and Geography – 1 credit, AP Human Geography – 1 credit, (AP) American/AZ History – 1 credit, AP Psychology – 1 credit, Psychology – ½ credit, Criminal Justice – ½ credit, (AP) Government – ½ credit, (AP) Economics – ½ credit, Cold War – ½ credit, We the People – ½ credit
Example: (AP) World History – 1 credit, (AP) American History – 1 credit, and currently enrolled in(AP)Government – ½ credit, and (AP) Economics - ½ credit
**courses DO NOT have to be at the AP level
- The minimum GPA for World History and American History is an unweighted/weighted 4.00
- Have an overall minimum cumulative unweighted/weighted GPA of 3.80
- Have no discipline issues on file with administration
What am I signing up for?
- We will meet twice in the fall semester and twice in the spring semester during conference. (discuss planned events, announcements, and a quick current event debate) These meetings are mandatory and will be counted as points towards your honor cords
- We will have one mandatory after school meeting in the spring semester
- Officers will meet twice each month.
- 2 or more cultural events (attend a cultural festival/event in town, a dinner from a culture you are not familiar with, a religious worship service, or complete a This Day in History poster)
- 2 service events (10 hours outside of school + participation in Rho Kappa organized event)
- $25 in dues (only necessary once you have been accepted)
What am I getting out of this?
- Membership in a national honors organization
- Blue and white honor cords at graduation (have to accumulate 24 points once inducted)
- Camaraderie and collaboration with the best Perry social studies students